Tuesday, June 10, 2008

What's next?

So I graduated in May.
.
.
.
Ok. Now I answer the question "So, what are you doing now?" Now, right now, I have no life long goal plans, except to make money and enjoy life (who doesn't want that?). I plan on finding something I like to do and people I like to be with. But in the mean time, I'll settle for short term activities.

For example. I have returned to CYOP at SCRA for this summer. I'm not going to say that this is the absolute last summer, because then I would join the ranks of others there who constantly say the aforementioned phrase only to return the next June. So I'm teaching at The Hills in the morning and then Coordinating private swim lessons and evening group lessons over at Cal for the kiddies. I answer the phone a lot, send a lot of emails, organize classes, enter things into our databases, and interact with interesting people.

In the fall I will head to Spain to be an English teaching assistant with a joint program between the US Department of Education and the Spanish Ministry of Education and Science. Basically this is a program that is for around 1500 North American people (US and Canada) and we go to Spain and impart our mother language and culture to Spanish school kids for about 16 hours a week. We get a monthly stipend and some health insurance along with the privilege to enter Spain on a student visa. I have to find my own housing (3 people from my study abroad program and 1 classmate/teammate from college will also be in the Madrid area with me).

True to Spanish form, information is slow to be leaked and instructions are convoluted. I haven't yet found out where I will be, when I need to get there, when I can leave (this is particularly difficult because you need round trip tickets to get a visa-but the program has advised against getting a ticket before you get a visa...confused? me too), and what exactly I will be doing. I'm sure I will get this information eventually. It would just give me peace of mind to get it soon.

As I wait for my information, I work to make money to supplement whatever amount they will give me and try not to be too anxious.

No comments:

Post a Comment