Tuesday, February 16, 2010

SNOW! AGAIN!

So I know I post a lot about snow, but we are getting a record amount of snow here. It is supposed to rain all week and but up at school in the mountains we have been getting snow. It snowed all day on Tuesday last week. It took us 20 min to make the distance that usually takes 5 min. Ths buses can´t go up the hill to the station because of the ice and the snow and aparently there is a bus stuck in the middle of the road. But we still have classes. I think we got like 3 inches of snow in about a half an hour. Gross, when you have to take a bus at least.

So last weekend was Chinese New Years and to my suprise the Chinese community actually did something for it. There was a huge parade on Saturday when it was freezing outside and then there were a bunch of stalls in Plaza de España all weekend. The parade was fun to see. There were some dancers and lion dancers and dragons and balloons and stuff an has like 30 different groups. Plaza de España was crazy crowded but I managed to buy some baked bao and some dontats (sp?). It was nice to eat some good, if greasy Chinese food that is familiar. For lunch we went to try a restaurant that has gotten good reviews. Its in the southern part of Madrid and it took us a while to find it, but they have a photo with the king! Its called El Buen Gusto, and I was disappointed. First off they never attended us. We had to wait at least a half an hour to place the order and then the dishes came out all random and seperate. I had to ask multiple times for rice and the peking duck was like fried chicken with semi wrappings. The flavor was also not good. We got some eggplant that was ¨traditional¨and it was good but it came out so late that I wasn´t hungry anymore. There were many Chinese people there so they must be able to get good food, but I have a sneaking suspision that they get better food than anyone else to begin with. I would go back and try to order ¨traditional¨ food, but I will need to wait a while.

In the afternoon we went to see the Carnaval parade. The theme was the cinema and so everything had to do with a movie or an actor or a director. It was freezing cold all day and at night it was worse. It was not a extremely good parade, but there were lots and lots of old cars and the boys were really excited about those.

Also on Saturday I had to deliver cookies to someone because I was trying to sell cookies for Valentine´s Day. I really only got one person to buy them, but it was exciting. I made little heart shaped cookies and frosted them and then dipped half of the batch in chocolate. They turned out very pretty if a bit tough from over handling.

On Valentine´s Day we went with my friend and her man friend to go bowling. The bowling alley is at the Chamartin station and has like 15 lanes. The whole place looks like it is stuck in the 70´s. Everything is old. There is also a club ther next to the bowling alley and there were people lining up for it a 6pm in the afternoon. What? Noel said that it was probably for the 16year olds who have to party during the day time because that is when their parents let them out. I forgot how fun bowling is, but we should have bought two games because it can go pretty fast and you only get in the swing of things when by the end of the first game. I need to work on my accuracy. After bowling we went to play pool in the back and then Carlos and I went to have dinner in this restaurant in Chueca called Ex Libris . More about this in my food blog. Thats all for now! otherwise I will get too backed up in my blogs.

No comments:

Post a Comment