Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Its not a mixed bag

During my lunch break I went to the supermarket to pick up some stuff.  Not many items, I could have gone through the fast check-out which is for people with 10 items or less.

I ended up with 4 bags.  Now, you may ask me if the items I bought were extra heavy or bulky.  The answer is no.  Peruvian supermarkets just really like putting stuff into bags.

To be fair, I suppose I bought 4 types of groceries : produce, non-perishables, bread, and deli stuff.  4 bananas and three potatoes, 2 non-perishables, 2 deli stuffs, and one bag of bread.  Obviously this warrants 4 normal sized bags.  Heaven forbid that the bread be forced to share a bag with some bananas, or that my lunchmeat should have to hang with my oil.  For me, this is ridiculous.  You do NOT need to seperate everything.  Once, I bought some floss and it came in its own bag.  Just toss it in another bag!!!  Honest, it´ll be fine!

 Too much plastic is being used here and I feel like it is such a waste of plastic bags.   Half of the time I ask the baggers to just put it all in one bag (or at least in fewer bags), I get blank stares as their hands are automatically parcelling out goods into seperate bags.  If I manage to catch them before they start bagging groceries, the baggers look particularly pained when they are mixing produce with cleaning products and dry goods.  I´m sure they are inwardly rolling their eyes and chalking it up to me not being Peruvian.  Too bad,
 I´m not going to apologize for wanting to use less bags.

The only problem with getting them to consolidate bags is that I don´t have enough trash bags....how to be ecological AND practical?  Thanks, Peru for making me problem solve.

No comments:

Post a Comment