Friday, December 16, 2011
And end and a beginning
We are nearing the end of the year and a lot of change is in the air. Last week I finished working at my full time job and we are preparing for a wedding, of sorts.
Its always sad when something comes to an end. I wrote to all of my participants to tell them that I wouldn't be working any more and some of them wrote me really nice things back. Its nice to know that the work that you did is appreciated- and that the kids aren't as self-centered as you thought.
All in all, I'm impressed/proud of myself with this job. When I moved to Peru I was looking for jobs, but kind of resigned to the fact that I would be teaching English again. I sent out tons of letters and resumes to anyone and anything that I thought would be helpful. I ended up having three interviews before I left for Peru and two lined up for when I got there. This was all in addition to Carlos saying that he would talk to his highly influential uncle. I wanted something else besides teaching English. I already had experience in it and while its a good job, it doesn't help me with my Spanish. Since I my second year in Spain I had been interested in working in some type of international education. I figured it would work with my experience in teaching and living abroad, so I mostly focused on study abroad agencies and anything that had to do with language and travel. My goals for working in Peru were to work in Spanish, to have a full time non-ESL teaching job, and work in international education. I fulfilled all of these goals and then some. I found the job on my own, without relying on Carlos' uncle or anyone else.
I know that my Spanish has improved because of this job, and I know I made a good impression on my bosses because they told me that if I wanted to work another year, they would like to have me back, illegal status and not perfect Spanish included. I learned a lot about the student exchange industry and about what I want in a career. It was a very productive 9 months in Peru.
Now that this experience is over, I have some time to focus on the other task at hand. Getting married! The next great adventure. There are a lot of hoops do jump through and a lot of things to plan and coordinate, apart from the normal flowers, dress, location stuff. These last months in Peru will be dedicated to English teaching and Peruvian and American bureaucracy deciphering. Follow along the marrying a Peruvian adventure here.
I don't know if this is a door closing and a new one opening, or its more the end of a chapter and the start of a new one, on various levels. Whatever it is, its change, but change is good, right?
Labels:
Lizard Life
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

am so excited for you sardo
ReplyDelete