Monday, February 20, 2012

The Cremolada

YUM!  Too bad I always ate mine too fast to take a picture
As soon as the sun started coming out I started noticing a lot of signs for "cremoladas".  I always thought that they have something to do with cream, and "aloda" of it.  I continually asked Carlos about what they were and I was always so confused.  It has nothing to do with cream, and is instead like frozen fruit.

Is it like ice cream?  I asked?  No.  Is is like sorbet?  No.  Is it like a juice?  Maybe.  SO helpful, right?

I had never had a good occasion to try this summer enigma because I always saw the signs for them while we were between places.  That is, until my parents came down for the wedding.  The apartment the rented was right across the street from this place called "Curich" and as far as I could tell, they only sold the mysterious icy treat.

After we recovered from the first few hectic days, we ventured across the street to try the cremoladas.  I was very pleasantly surprised at the taste.  Its like an all fruit Icee.  But with better ice.  Its not like sorbet, or like a shave ice, or like an ice cream.  Its like a frozen juice box.  But with more fruit flavor.  In a word, its like the perfect summer treat.

Curich has like a billion flavors of all sorts of tropical fruits as well as chocolate, vanilla, and pisco sour.  There are pictures next to the name of the fruit flavor, but because I am unfamiliar with the range of tropical fruits the pictures don't help much in the terms of choosing new flavors.

I think that for the second part of our trip we went at least once a day.  But on the last day  of my parent's trip, we went twice.   Once after our morning walk and then once after out lunchtime walk.  Needless to say we were big fans.  We even passed up a few other places that offer cremoladas to hit up the place on the way home.

Now I just need to learn how to make them at home!  Then I won't have to trek half way across the city to get a frozen treat.

No comments:

Post a Comment