Something that I really like about Peru, and Spain that you can´t really find in the US are people who provide a singular service. I remember being in Amsterdam and one of the tourist attractions were all of the shops that sell just one item. Like the bench store or the toothbrush store or the condom store. These are kinda like over the top, but its the same idea.
Today at lunch this man came knocking on the door with a rolly suitcase and what looked like rolls of something. He said he came because the cleaning guy asked him to come. Ended up that he was coming to bring plastic garbage bags for us. And all he sells are garbage bags. He has his own recipts and everything. I love it. This is kinda similiar to my post on Peruvian Whistles, where each whistle has its own meaning and sound.
I love that there are shops that sell just one item, like fruit, or meat or dried goods. In the central market there are stalls that sell plastic bags that you can imprint with your own logo. There are little slivers of shops that just sell shoes. There are still hardware stores here and people you can go to that will provide just exaclty the service that you need. This is changing slightly, and you can also go to the HUGE supermarkets or the Ace Home Center, or the mall, but I would say that as many people that go to the huge megastores, more still use the little shops and individual sellers.
On the other hand...you also have the man walking down the street who can sell you clippers, dvds, fruit, plastic ware and eggs and offer to clean your shoes too...
No comments:
Post a Comment